So my "retirement" has evolved into a six pronged project:
- Establish a small educational dive charter modeled after Dive Makai and train the villagers as divemasters, to ultimately own and operate the business themselves.
- To make their underwater world through snorkeling and SCUBA available to as many islanders as I can
- To actively and assertively pursue rigorous conservation of the marine world in Marovo Lagoon and beyond.
- Through the business, to support and enhance education in the village and surrounding areas. My personal dream is a small village library; a book, to the kids in these villages, is a treasure.
- To spend lots of time singing with "my kids"- who already want to "go on the road" and travel to other villages.
- To just take the time to PLAY!!
- The villagers enthusiastically embraced my project. Having started to date 28 villagers on SCUBA, I am confident I will have plenty of excellent divemaster candidates.
To introduce the islanders to this half of their own world is a most powerful spiritual experience for me. They are simply entranced by the animals and their behaviors. Almost to a person, they demonstrate extraordinary water skills and finding and showing skills right from their first dive.
My goal at this point in time is to be up and operating in January, 2007. As everything flows on Solomon time -- which takes Hawaiian time to a new art form -- I will keep you all informed via this web site.